Sunday, February 3, 2019

Write 28 Days - Day 1 - Begin



Well, I have decided to do this challenge; and here is my "late to the game" first post!

But, where do I begin?

To share my journey, I need to go back to the beginning.


It was over 20 years ago when blood pressure problems surfaced.  My husband went into the doctor's office with extremely high blood pressure and was almost hospitalized, but they were able to bring it down with medication.

Another time he was tossing and turning in his sleep and mumbling aloud.  Later, after we learned an MRI showed small strokes, I looked back on that time and had no clue that could have been when it happened!

But the combination of those two things eventually brought on the diagnoses of Vascular Dementia after testing and doctor's visits.

So, the journey began.

And now, over 20 years later, we continue on this journey.  Over the past few years, I saw his dementia gradually getting worse.

New doctors and more medications; updated testing; and the feared words:

Alzheimer's Disease.

"It could be Alzheimer's disease", said one doctor.  The one who didn't even want to listen as I explained how things were.  As if I hadn't already figured that one out for myself!

But, still we continue on that journey, taking one day at a time.  Still we discover new road blocks and detours and ways of handling things.

The newest detour is driving.  He failed the eye test when renewing his license.  At 80 years old, my family and friends agreed that it was probably time.  With hearing issues and the dementia, even the doctors said, "No driving."

He can't accept that.  He won't accept that until he tries to get it back.

So, I begin a new job:

Chauffeur.  I have assured him I would take him to church on Sundays.  I would get him where he needed to be, just like we do anyway.

But, just the fact that he can't drive feels hard because what if he wants to drive himself somewhere?!

There will come a time when he realizes this is how it is going to be...

From now on!

And that is how we begin this new journey in our life together...

One day at a time!


Go to Write 28 Days 2019 for a list of all  posts for this challenge.

{To check out my first Write 31 Days challenge, go to Barbara's BlogThis was my first attempt at a blog, so it isn't very "clean".  And I had no idea what a Landing Page was, or how to set it up...thankfully I learned before I started my second challenge the next year!

But it is the beginning of our journey with dementia.  And, I have since updated to a new blog, Through the Hard Times.}


8 comments:

  1. Your post reminds me of my father's dementia. I think giving up driving was the hardest part for him.I pray that God will surround you and your husband with His peace as you "begin this new journey."

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Carol for reading and commenting...as I said, I AM late to the game but am catching up and getting in a little reading too!

      Delete
  2. Barbara, that's so hard. Thank you for sharing your struggles. I pray God will strength you both for the task ahead. Blessings to you!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Once again, Kate's word prompts have come through for me!!! I wasn't going to write last October until I read the words and thought I could use them and do "Words of Encouragement", and managed to get them all done. That happened again with Anita's 28 Days; but I chose to just open up and share the journey...thank you for reading and for your comments. I pray also that God gives me - us - the strength and understanding to move forward as we must.

      Delete
  3. Thank you for sharing your experience. Will be keeping you in my prayers. Pam

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Pam, for reading and commenting and especially for the prayers!

      Delete
  4. it has been nice to meet you barbara:) our dementia journey hasn't been nearly as long as yours. wow! but there are a lot of similarities regarding the journey. blessings!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Normally with vascular dementia, it stabilizes unless there are more strokes, small or major. As far as I know, there have not been; but it can also move into a dementia such as Alzheimer's disease that will get worse as time goes on. That is the journey we are currently on. Each "case" IS different, but can also have similarities. Are you a part of a support group? I find that to be so helpful. Our group has speakers on occasion from the local Alzheimer's Association, or various assisted living facilities and senior retirement communities.

      Please continue to follow and we can share...I chose to write during this 28 days as if writing in my journal, using the Five Minute Friday words. They are really perfect words so far!!

      Delete