Wednesday, February 13, 2019

Write 28 Days - Day 11 - Inquire




There have been many times in my life that I would have responded gladly to this sign!

Needing a job would have drawn my attention to:




HELP WANTED
INQUIRE WITHIN

That simple sign in a shop window may have been just the thing to turn my life around.

But, unless I take the initiative to walk inside and inquire, that opportunity would have been lost to me.

Sometimes I wish I could "Inquire Within" my husband's head; or...

Deeper...

Into his heart and soul!

He has never been one to show affection or emotions; holding my hand or lovingly giving me a hug.

As this disease takes over his abilities and emotions, I have seen that he is showing his feelings and emotions through little things he says or does:

Complimenting the dinner I fixed for us; even if it's a plate of leftovers that I put together and warmed up in the microwave!

A bright smile when I offer to fix our evening dessert; usually a bowl of ice cream.

A shiny penny he has found while walking.  He especially loves to give me a "penny that has lost its color"...a dime, nickel or quarter!

Offering the remote control to me so I can "Watch what you want."

Helping with the chores (without being asked; he has certain ones that he always does!)

Bringing me treats when he walks to the drug store at the end of the road.  Not always my fave; but it's the thought that counts, right?  And...it's chocolate!

And yes, there have been the occasional hug or kiss planted on my cheek!



I wish I could inquire about how he is feeling.

Does he even have any idea that he is slowly losing his memory more and more every day?


How is he really feeling, physically, mentally, even spiritually.

And more...

Perhaps, just like that sign in the store window, all I need is to take the initiative.

Perhaps a simple question would open the way for a conversation.

Perhaps...

But, exactly what should that question be?

I don't know; but perhaps it is worth a try!



Go to Write 28 Days 2019 for a list of all  posts for this challenge.



To check out my first Write 31 Days challenge from 2014, "31 Days of Dementia's Demands", go to Barbara's Blog.



No comments:

Post a Comment