Saturday, January 6, 2018

Today




Someone we see every day may be so familiar to us that we couldn't possibly forget their name!

As I look back on my early years, I remember the name of a favorite Sunday School teacher; Mrs. D. was very popular with the young people, myself included...

Until I learned she was a smoker!!

That brought her down from the pedestal I had put her on.  To this day, many years later, I remember her name and I remember that incident.  It is a part of my long term memories.

There may come a time when I won't remember her name; or many others in my life; past, present or future.

There may come a time when those loved ones I see every day will be strangers to me.

This poem was written with that in mind; but mostly with the knowledge that one day, my husband may forget who I am.

This is not an easy thing to even consider.

But, with dementia, that is a definite direction we are sure to travel as we continue along this journey...



Today...

I forgot your name!
I know it's somewhere...
In the deep dark recesses of my brain.

I see your face...
Can picture us together -
Somewhere...
Walking hand in hand -
In the park?
At the beach?
Somewhere!

I hear your voice,
Calling my name...
And I smile!

Today...
I forgot your name!
Maybe tomorrow,
I will remember.
Maybe tomorrow,
I will know...
Maybe.
{BJLondon - April 2015}




Memories can be a strange thing for one with dementia.  One day they may know their loved ones; the next day they may be complete strangers to them.

One day their memory seems almost normal; the next, they can't remember what you told them five minutes ago.

Every day should be treasured.  Every day remembered for what it is or was.  Those with dementia may live in a "Groundhog Day" kind of world.

We, as loved ones and caregivers, may live in their world easier than they can...

And, one day, maybe they will share their memories before they fade away...again.

Treasure these times.




6 comments:

  1. Beautiful. I was nodding along throughout. What a great reminder.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Natalie! I appreciate your reading and commenting...glad to be back writing and to see you and all the other blogging 31ers on Facebook!! Will do some reading this afternoon!

      Delete
  2. This has to be one of the hardest things.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It certainly isn't easy! But, as I learn to lean on God more and more instead of trying to walk this journey alone, it becomes easier and easier all the time!

      Delete
  3. So beautiful and hard all at the same time! I think we move so fast, sometimes we forget how to treasure each day.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. So true, Bethany! Live just flies by and we really need to take the time to treasure what we have when and while we still do!! Thanks for reading and commenting!!

      Delete