Tuesday, November 15, 2016

Simple Woman's Daybook - November 14, 2016






FOR TODAY

November 14, 2016


Looking Out My Window:
Today was a beautiful day; a slight cool breeze, and just a little sunshine.  At this time, just after 6:00 pm, it is around 59 degrees...perfect weather!

I Am Thinking:
About my life as a caregiver, and wife of one with dementia and hearing loss...

I am failing at both roles - caregiver and wife.

I Am Thankful:
For my daughters and friends that I can talk with when I need to; but, mostly for God who guides my path...though I don't always listen or take heed of His word to me!


One of My Favorite Things:
RETREATS!

And, yes, I do have one coming up next weekend.  It is in town, less than 10 miles from where I live...

But, I plan to stay at the hotel so I don't have to drive home at midnight (or later!).

I Am Creating:
A Christmas tag and ATC (artist trading card); a Winter tag; and Christmas cards.  Next weekend I hope to work more on some other projects - yet to be determined!


I Am Wearing:
A pair of jeans and a purple shirt with sunflowers; and my comfy bedroom slippers.

I Am Reading:
"The Cabin" by Carla Neggers...I have never read this author; but a friend gave me about a dozen paperback books from a box she had.  I picked out the ones I thought sounded good...

This one is not disappointing me at all!

I Am Hoping:
The rest of this week goes by better than this morning started out to be!  I will be getting ready for the retreat this weekend, and also doing our monthly shopping - which can both be rather stressful!

I Am Learning:
Perhaps I am not learning anything!  I seem to still be pondering how my life is at this point - season? - of my life.  And, I just don't seem to be learning how to "deal" with the way it is right now.

I have made one small step to finding a support group...I have the date for the next meeting and the address for where it will be held.

In My Kitchen:
The dishes from dinner are rinsed off and in the dishwasher; a third load of clothes is in the dryer, and a fourth in the washer!

Monday use to be my laundry day; my "stay-at-home" day.  Now, I stay with my 2 year old granddaughter on Mondays...and love it!!


Board Room:

I could say I just happened to find this post; but I think know that He led me to find it!

As I was searching Pinterest for an image or quote, or something to use for today's SWD, I stumbled across this post called "He Sees You".  Check it out here. ...

It isn't easy being the caregiver to someone with dementia and a hearing problem.  It isn't easy living with a person that has no feelings or compassion or empathy or even sympathy; one who is harsh with his words, but doesn't even know or remember saying them.  And they hurt!

He may be able to go on as if nothing has been said or done; but, it is my heart that is breaking more and more with each harsh, ugly word.

It wouldn't hurt as much if his words were aimed at me; but they aren't.  They are aimed at my children or grandchildren; and it hurts bad!

The assurance that God has not forgotten us; that He knows our circumstances and loves us... I was reminded of this as I read through the words of Dr. Michelle Bengtson in her blog "Hope Prevails."

Perhaps her words will find their way to my soul and heal the words I hear so often...


Post Script:
Today I am sharing a post I wrote for Five Minute Friday last week; check it out here.

Shared Quote:


I found this quote while browsing through Pinterest; I even printed it out and taped it to the wall next to my computer...

I need to read this every day!



A Moment From My Day:
Today was the day we do our monthly grocery shopping...one of two days to "stock up" for the month!

While in Sam's Club, waiting to check out, a couple of pre-teen boys were checking out the radio that was playing at the beginning of the line.  I don't remember what the song was, but it was from a "regular" station; loud and not very appealing.

The two boys messed around for a couple of minutes, then went in front of us to join their mother.

From the radio I heard the words of a familiar song...and it wasn't loud and unappealing!

Stepping up beside the boys, I asked, "Did you change that channel?"  The younger one pointed to the older one and said, "He did!"

And, I replied, "Thank you!"

They had changed it to a Christian station!

I said to their mother, "I love walking into a store and hearing Christian music instead of the loud music usually played!"

That made me smile...

And that's how my day is going so far!  How about yours?


Join me again next week for The Simple Woman's Daybook!



3 comments:

  1. This is my first time visit, and I'm joining you from Simple Woman's Daybook.

    Thank you for sharing a slice of your life with us today. I'm wishing you glimpses of heaven in unexpected places to brighten and cheer your day.

    Brenda

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Brenda, for stopping by and reading my SWD post! I haven't actually done one yet for this week; and I'm not sure if I'll get to it.

      And, I love the wish you gave me!!! To "glimpse heaven in unexpected placed to brighten and cheer my day..." OH YES!!! Thank you for the wish!!!

      Delete
  2. Hi Barbara,
    I'm visiting SW Daybook, and I enjoyed the glimpse of your life. Thank you for sharing! You are so encouraging, and I love how you intentionally find joy and see the good in life even when there are the realistic details too. I like how you painted a picture of both in your writing - keeping it real! God Bless You and Merry Christmas!

    ReplyDelete