Friday, November 4, 2016

Five Minute Friday - COMMON




I am excited to continue linking up with Kate Motaung and the Five Minute Friday group of bloggers!

Perhaps I'll surprise everyone - myself included - and figure out how to "tweet" so I can join the Thursday night "twitter party"!!

Be sure to check here for more information about participating in Five Minute Friday.


This week's word is:  Common


Today is Veterans' Day...a day that we focus our attention on those who have served our country; those who continue to serve; and those who will serve at some point in the future.


I was born into a military family: my father retired from the U. S. Army; and my brother followed in our dad's footsteps by joining the army as soon as he graduated from high school.

And, I married a soldier.  Though that marriage did not last past 8 years, I am still proud of his service to our country.

While serving in Japan, my brother met and fell in love; she was also serving in the U. S. Army.

When I met my second husband, I didn't know his background for serving our country; but later found out that he was also a veteran of the service.

All of these relationships had a common thread: the military; specifically, the U. S. Army.

Today, as I sat at a table in front of a bar-b-que restaurant that was giving free sandwiches to veterans, I pondered the past few weeks ... 

The election of our new president has just ended with such division and protest and controversy that I feel like sticking my head into the sand until the next four years are over.

I am not one for discussing politics.  I don't fully understand the hows and whys and whatevers of it all.  And I find it hard to put into words how I feel about the "issues" or "platform" that each party stands for.

But, as I sat watching a large number of men and women who have served in the military, or even some who are still serving, it occurred to me:

This group of people were not divided into who was in the Army, or the Navy or the Coast Guard or whatever branch of service;

They were not divided by who was a Republican, or a Democrat, or even an Independent;

They were joined together in a common bond; they joined together in honoring and remembering those who have served, are serving, and will serve our country.

They were shaking hands and hugging and laughing and talking and...

It didn't matter which branch of the military they represented; or how they voted this past Tuesday or earlier.

What did matter was that they - we - were all together celebrating our common goal:

To live together and work together for the good of the United States of America.

Yes, there are some disagreements; there have been controversies and divisiveness and harsh words said to each other.  There have been many debates and comments and posts on social media that were not kind.

But however we all feel, in the end, the person that has been elected will be the President of the United States of America.

And, as citizens of the United States, we should all work together for the common good of our country.

And that's all I'll say...but will end with this Prayer for Veterans that I saw on Facebook:






2 comments:

  1. well said, Barbara! We all have a common goal as Americans and that starts with loving one another. Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Teresa! I appreciate your reading and commenting...and appreciate your continued encouragement.

      Delete