Thursday, June 15, 2023

Finally Home

 


The poem I am sharing today was written a few days after my husband passed.  I wanted to be able to remember that last visit with him, and having all of the "children" together.  We each had a chance to sit with him and share whatever was on our mind, in our hearts.  And the memories we needed or wanted to share with each other.  It turned out to be the last visit as he passed in the early hours that next morning.

The words of this poem came out of two memories:

1.  Visiting my husband at the nursing facility became a stressful time as he always begged me to take him home, or drive him somewhere to get a burger or milkshake.  It hurt so much that I had to leave him, many times sneaking out while the staff made sure he stayed.  I can't imagine what he thought each time he saw me walking away.  But, the next time I saw him he had completely forgotten.

2.  During our last visit, I noticed a cardboard decoration, a butterfly, in the far corner of the room.  As he was lying there in his last hours, he kept reaching up for that butterfly and would mumble a word we couldn't clearly understand; until we did!  He was saying "Home".  And I knew he was reaching for the Heavenly Home waiting for him; not the home where he had wanted to go to with me.

As I share this poem today, I am at peace, knowing that we are each in the Home where we are meant to be.  He is no longer sick; and I am working my way through life as it will now be for me...

Finally Home

Did you know I was there with you?
In those last hours?
Did you know?
Could you hear the words whispered?
Mine and those of our loved ones?

Could you feel the presence in the room?
The one you kept reaching for.
The one I know you felt.
I felt the presence surrounding us all,
As we whispered those words
In the last hours.
I felt them, knew they would comfort you,
Prepare you for your last journey
When they take you Home,
Where you always wanted to be...
And now, you are finally Home!

(bjl 11/7/22)


No comments:

Post a Comment