Saturday, February 8, 2020

Write 28 Days - Day 6 - Community




There's a community out there to help...

I am not alone.

So, why do I feel alone??

My husband and I attend church every Sunday; three weeks at his church and one week at mine.  Since he doesn't drive anymore, I do the driving and had promised him I would take him to his church.  I seriously did not think he would go with me to mine!

But, he does!  And he enjoys talking with the people he meets there.  Some he has actually "known" for many years from going to various events at my church.

And I am seeing another side of him when I attend his church...

{It's a long story of why we go to different churches; for many years, he didn't even go at all because of his work schedule...until our daughter was a teenager and went off on her own to find a church - there were no other young people in our church.  So, eventually, dad followed his "baby girl" to her church...and so on!}

Anyway, there is a community of people at both of these churches that we could call on if we needed to.

I haven't needed to.

Yet.

But, would I?


We live in an apartment complex that has 15 buildings, each with three floors of apartments, four on each floor; two different sides of the building...let's see, if my calculations are correct, that would be about 12 per end and 24 per building?!

That's a lot of people; another community.

But, I am sorry to say, I know the name of ONE...a neighbor that lives downstairs from where we live.  I've helped her and her daughter out a few times; I am sure they would help us too, if needed...if they were able to do so.

I haven't needed to.

Yet.

But, would I?


My husbands "knows" many people in the complex because he is out walking every day.  He speaks to everyone and pets their dogs and ooohs and ahhhs over the babies being pushed around the complex.  But, he doesn't really "know" them.

The office staff and maintenance workers are  around if we needed anything done in the apartment.

Yes, I do call on them for those types of maintenance issues!  But, for other reasons?

But, call on any of them to help if I needed them?   I don't feel I can.  I doubt if I would unless it was an emergency!


These are the communities we are in the midst of every day; and these don't really include our family or our friends!

We are not alone...

Even though we feel as if we are alone in our caregiving journey, or any other journey we may be traveling...

We are not alone!

There are people we can call on in an emergency...but, don't have to wait just for an emergency.


A few years ago when I started my blog and participated in the Write 31 Days challenge, I connected with a lot of other writers.  And, I connected with others that had been on, or were currently on, the same type of journey as I take every day...

One such writer is Bobbi Carducci, author of "The Imperfect Caregiver" as well as other books.

I am currently reading "Caregiver You Are Not Alone."  Quite obvious why this title peaked my attention...

While reading this book, I can see myself and our journey in just about every person's story that the author shares.  The following words hit home...

And remind me that I am NOT alone:

"...Being a caregiver is not a job that we can do alone.  We need help from our community, our family, and our friends.  And in the moments when all of them are too busy, or too far away, there is One who is always there."


Remember Caregiver, You Are NOT Alone!


Reach out for help when you need it.



{Find more about Bobbi Carducci and her journey here or here.



No comments:

Post a Comment