Friday, February 9, 2018

Word Wednesday - Play



"If a man...never allowed himself a bit of fun and relaxation, he would go mad or become unstable without knowing it."  (Herodotus)

I read this quote in one of those little daily quote booklets.  It was so timely since I had a bad day earlier in the week and this really fit how my husband was acting - "mad" or "unstable".

Have you ever heard this..."All work and no play makes Jack a dull boy"?  Not only dull, but perhaps a little "unstable"?

In retirement, I thought we'd be doing a lot of "playing".  Actually, I am!

My husband doesn't have any hobbies.  All he does is walk, which is good for him.  But, when he comes back from a walk, he picks up his stack of index cards and looks through them...counting as he goes.

I'm not sure what all that means.  The cards are names and addresses of family members and people he went to school with.  His way of keeping up with his family and "DuPont people", as he says.

Well, besides the walking and the cards, he does enjoy family outings and get-togethers.  But, whenever I mention us doing anything, it's usually met with negativity.

Oh, he's fine to go with me when I need to go shopping; he knows he will probably get some cash for his needs.

But, a walk on the beach?  Or, a drive across town or even into Georgia which is not that far away!

No!  Nothing even remotely entices him to do anything (unless I mention our daughter, of course!)

So, I do what I enjoy!  I meet my friends and scrapbook; I craft and spend time with my friends.  That is my way of coping with what is at home.

Today's word?  Fun or Play or Hobby or whatever you want to add to the mix!

Just make sure you take enough time to enjoy your life in whatever way you like...

And I am going to let the "grumpy old man" do his own thing!  My time away helps me to  get by with the other day to day things!

So, I will spend my retirement playing!!  Or, more specifically, crafting!

Hope you enjoy yours!




No comments:

Post a Comment