Wednesday, April 26, 2017

Does Joy Come Before Hope?








My word for 2017 is "Hope".








Yet, I find myself back-tracking to last year's word, "Joy".

I didn't finish writing about Joy.

Perhaps that is why I haven't been able to write much about Hope!

Perhaps life has gotten in the way, and my focus has not been on the right person?

My daughter recommended the book, "Dancing with my Father", by Sally Clarkson.  I started reading slowly, and stalled on Chapter Three.

These words are what stopped me:

"...not realizing it, I had built values in my heart and a foundation for a Kingdom that was pretty much dependent on this world and on people rather than on God.

"I thought marriage and romance would make me feel loved and lovable...my children would fulfill the longing to be cherished and revered; friends and family would gratify my need to be liked and appreciated...

"And material trappings of the world would keep me satisfied.  I was reaching for all the things I thought would bring me Joy instead of reaching for the true source of Joy - God Himself."

So, these words had me thinking.

Maybe I wasn't able to complete my Word for the Year because I really hadn't found joy myself!

Maybe I needed to find Joy before I could really have Hope.

Perhaps I needed to look in a different direction to find both!

Perhaps I need to look deep inside myself to find Joy before I can find the Hope that is also deep within;  the Joy and Hope that comes from only one source...

God - Himself!

This song, by Tenth Avenue North, has also spoken to me...

In the depth of my soul...

Where Joy and Hope can be found!



The refrain cries out:

"I have this hope
in the depth of my soul...
In the flood or the fire
You're with me
and you won't let go!"

God is with me - and you!  He has that Joy and Hope for each of us!

Perhaps once I find my Joy...

The Hope will follow?

I pray you can find your Joy and Hope as well!  Share with me...



2 comments:

  1. Thank you for sharing these thoughts and such a great song too. I think you are right, that the JOY and the HOPE are twined together somehow. I am grateful that HE holds them both in HIS hands for us! Blessings to you!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for reading and commenting on the words I wrote, sharing your own words of Joy and Hope!!

      Keep Writing...

      Delete